Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Just Don't Call it A Diet, Diet

My new non-diet diet.

The word "diet" often implies something that you do for a finite or set amount of time.

I'm using it though to describe my regular eating habits - so it's something for me that has no end point.

So what is this non-diet diet of mine which hath no end?

The paleo diet.

I'm sure you've heard of it, but in sum, the theory behind it is that our bodies are structured to thrive on fruits/vegetables/meats as opposed to the heavy grain and dairy diet so common to western culture.

There's a lot of information out there concerning some of the ill-effects of our high-grain diets on our bodies, but I think everyone should research the information themselves and decide what is best for them.

Do I think all grains and dairy are evil?

Absolutely not.

Do I think I personally used to supplement most of my calories with food containing grains?

Absolutely. I would go through a bag of Pirate Booty in a day, not exactly what I would call eating a balanced diet. Not to mention my carbo-loading leading to R's appearance most likely played a role in my baby being 10lbs 12 oz at birth.

Let's be clear though, I'm not a purist, I do allow myself small amounts of dairy products (cheese, helloooo) and grains on special occasions (ie the pizza party I was at Saturday).

Otherwise though, my diet has completely been taken over by fruits, veges, and lots of meats and eggs.

On any given day, for the last week my meals closely resemble the following:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, a piece of fruit, coffee (believe it or not, with this I'm full until lunch, and I'm not some dainty little bird-type eater either)

Lunch: 1 meat (whatever we had the night before, so pork, chicken, ham, etc), and a huge huge bowl of vegetable soup, like a bowl as big as my head, no, bigger.

Snack: 1 fruit with almond butter and 1 vege, or leftover soup from lunch

Dinner: 1 meat, 2 vegetables

Dessert: Coconut milk ice cream, or some pieces of a salted dark chocolate bar  (nom nom nom)

Now I know, looking at this it doesn't seem like much food, but the amount of vegetables I'm eating when I say "1 vege" is actually probably 2/3 servings of vegetables, and the meat is a good portion - enough that I'm not getting hungry between meals for the most part. This next week when I go shopping, I'm going to pick up more nuts to make a healthy trail mix to snack on, and well as some cottage cheese.

I've only been on this diet about a week, but here's my takeaway so far. First, I've started branching out a lot more with recipes since I'm trying to incorporate much more vegetables. Creamy mashed cauliflower? Butternut squash apple soup? Broccoli slaw with a jalapeno dressing? Spicy sausage soup with cabbage, carrots, onion and celery? Yes please.

Second, I've noticed that when I start to get hungry between meals, it's not the "sugar crash" hungry where you are ravishingly hungry and then stuff your face with whatever is on hand. It's more of a "oh, I'm getting hungry, guess I should eat" type feeling instead.

Third, when I'm full, it's not a bloated-let-me-undo-the-top-button-of-my-pants full, but a denser and leaner feeling of fullness.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this way of eating. Maybe since I'm only 90% paleo I don't feel too much of a loss since I will still occasionally have foods that aren't paleo-friendly. I'm also really excited to keep exploring new recipes to try since I've always been in a pasta-funk when it comes to preparing dinner.

I know some people might use this type of eating as a way to cut weight fast, but in my opinion, any meaningful fat loss takes time. You didn't gain it all in 30 days so you probably won't be able to lose it, and keep it off, in 30 days.

There is a bigger picture to all this. I gave a goal you see. A goal to have a six pack by July. This is why I'm starting my new way of eating now - to get in the groove and give myself a decent amount of time to see results.

I have never had a six pack, and now I have a bit of a mom stomach, so this is a pretty lofty goal, if I do say so myself.

The other part of this is going to be my work-out plan. I'm planning to get buff. Like, Jillian Michaels buff. But I'm not stupid, I know you can easily negate any gains you make in the gym by making bad decisions in the kitchen, which is why it's important for me to get my eating in check also. 

If you're curious, my work-out plan will consist of weight training 3x per week, with maybe a day or two of some cardio activity thrown in there. Right now I'm what you would call "skinny fat", meaning I'm pretty slender, but it's all mushy. I want to be skinny-ripped, so if you were to grab my arm all you would feel is rock solid muscle.

I'm 5'10 and I'm currently tipping the scales at 143 lbs, but in college when I lifted consistently for softball I was also 143lbs. My body looks a lot different now then it did when the 143lbs consisted of much more muscle.

Now I need to be held accountable. And what better place to be held accountable than in the public sphere? This means entertainment for you because every 2 weeks I'm going to post a picture with an update of my weight and measurements, along with how my work outs and eating have been going.

So let's do this.


Weight: 143lbs
Waist: 28.5 in
Hips: 38.5 in
Visible Six Pack? Hah, no.

Bring it.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I looked like that after having a baby-- good grief you look great. your arms already look toned! Maybe we can do this together? Because I will TOTALLY be cheering you on because I think this is awesome!! But I shall never ever post a picture of me like that. My stomach is DEstroyed after four babies. Like, nothing can be done but plastic surgery destroyed. I wont show anyone. Except the poor hubs. It's bad.

    Also, I wish we could trade juggs.

    Did I just say that out loud??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I have been skinny my whole life but until I started working out 5 years ago, I was exactly what you call skinny fat. Mushy. I actually weigh 10 pounds more than I did then, and I like to think it's muscle that replaced the fat. And seriously, doesn't Jillian Michaels have the best arms?! Totally want that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gravy you're lucky! I'm "short fat" which means I'm 5'2" with big boobs. What I wouldn't do to be tall and thin...

    ReplyDelete